Monday, May 12, 2008

it's not really stealing, is it?

My family and I have been spending most of our time in hospitals lately - my dad is in ICU and is on a tough tough battle to get better. We keep him and each other company, laughing inappropriately, doing crossword puzzles and my new hobby: stealing magazines from hospital waiting rooms.

It's only the food magazines I'm interested in stealing- I mean really, that's not that terrible is it? What magazines keep you interested in waiting rooms?
At least I'm getting some new recipes....Here's one I'm hoping to try soon...I've never made anything with watercress before - have you?

Chickpea Salad (from Real Simple magazine)
2 tablespoons olive oil
object
1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 small red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
8 cups watercress, washed and dried

In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the carrots and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce
heat to low, add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the chickpeas, cumin, and paprika and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the remaining stock and cook, uncovered, until the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, onion, watercress, and the remaining olive oil and toss well.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Yield: Makes 8 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES
114(0% from fat); FAT 4g (sat 1g); PROTEIN 4mg; CHOLESTEROL 0mg; CALCIUM 78mg;
SODIUM 182mg; FIBER 4g; CARBOHYDRATE 16g; IRON 1mg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's considered sharing, and the people of Real Simple would be real proud of your doing so. I hope your dad is doing better. I look forward to trying the recipe -- we love chick peas and KAXE!!!